Friday, August 05, 2005

 

You want it when?

As an editor, I work alone, but I also periodically work with production, the authors, illustrators, printer, other editors, and so on. As I reach the next step in a project and it's time to meet with one of these people, I'm prepared and know what I need done.

Usually the only hitch in the plan is when I need to contact someone outside the loop and I'm suddenly at this person's mercy. I hate when I project grinds to a complete stop as I wait for someone to respond to an e-mail. I'm then reminded of that obnoxious saying "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part," which only manages to piss me off. Every project has these unforeseen bumps, and the trick is to catch them early enough.

In other words, I'm still waiting for someone to respond to an e-mail I sent 23 and a half hours ago. Of course, the fact that I have to leave at 10 this morning to go to the dentist just complicates matters further, because now I have to hope that the person gets into the office by 9, and answers the email by 10. A one hour window of opportunity. Cue the Mission Impossible music!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?