Monday, August 15, 2005
Weekend Round-up
Friday morning I slept in, had coffee, cleaned a little, then headed over to the park for the picnic. I stayed there a few hours and left before lunch. Wife got home mid-afternoon and we went to see Wedding Crashers. Meh. Some funny stuff, but it was more romantic comedy than I was expecting. More of a rental than a see in the theater.
Saturday we got on the road about 9:30 and took the scenic route down to visit my parents. We stopped at half a dozen places and stretched a four-hour drive to about seven hours. It was fun, though your urge to stroll the scenic streets of Charlottesville is really tempered when it's 98 degrees.
My sister and her husband and two boys arrived soon after we did, and we all went to a nice dinner, followed by dessert at home. We got my parents a weekend at a fancy area resort for their anniversary. It has wine tastings, historical trips, hot air balloon rides, a spa, etc.
My nephews (11 and 7) are both at the age where they copy you, and whatever you think is cool, they think is cool. That's why I gave them books as gifts. I gave the youngest a couple of my old Superman comics, and a Superman figure that changes into Clark Kent. As long as he's reading something, that's what counts. We looked at some Batman comics together we found in my parents' basement. The older nephew got a book about astronauts, and a group picture of the crew from the most recent shuttle flight. (We have the pictures sitting around the office.) I'm happy to report that, although the rest of the country is rather blasé about it, children are still excited by space travel and think those guys with the jetpacks on are "awesome."
Sunday we left after lunch and zipped straight home. We had dinner and played Scrabble while watching Family Guy. Final score: I won by TWO points. I believe I'll be challenged to a rematch before the sun sets tonight.
So this weekend I was domestic man.
My best friend's wife is having their first baby at 12:30 PM today, via cesarean section. Please think happy thoughts for this couple you don't know, okay?
Saturday we got on the road about 9:30 and took the scenic route down to visit my parents. We stopped at half a dozen places and stretched a four-hour drive to about seven hours. It was fun, though your urge to stroll the scenic streets of Charlottesville is really tempered when it's 98 degrees.
My sister and her husband and two boys arrived soon after we did, and we all went to a nice dinner, followed by dessert at home. We got my parents a weekend at a fancy area resort for their anniversary. It has wine tastings, historical trips, hot air balloon rides, a spa, etc.
My nephews (11 and 7) are both at the age where they copy you, and whatever you think is cool, they think is cool. That's why I gave them books as gifts. I gave the youngest a couple of my old Superman comics, and a Superman figure that changes into Clark Kent. As long as he's reading something, that's what counts. We looked at some Batman comics together we found in my parents' basement. The older nephew got a book about astronauts, and a group picture of the crew from the most recent shuttle flight. (We have the pictures sitting around the office.) I'm happy to report that, although the rest of the country is rather blasé about it, children are still excited by space travel and think those guys with the jetpacks on are "awesome."
Sunday we left after lunch and zipped straight home. We had dinner and played Scrabble while watching Family Guy. Final score: I won by TWO points. I believe I'll be challenged to a rematch before the sun sets tonight.
So this weekend I was domestic man.
My best friend's wife is having their first baby at 12:30 PM today, via cesarean section. Please think happy thoughts for this couple you don't know, okay?
Comments:
<< Home
De's Happy Baby Thought #1:
I hope changing that first diaper isn't reminiscent of a frisky day at the Ape House.
I hope changing that first diaper isn't reminiscent of a frisky day at the Ape House.
You know, letting kids read those comics is letting the terrorists win.
Because when a child reads, everybody wins!
Post a Comment
Because when a child reads, everybody wins!
<< Home

