Friday, August 26, 2005
Mental Floss
Going to the dentist this morning to have the permanent crown put in. If I pay extra, maybe he'll kick me in the nuts too. I can't believe the amount of money this man has gotten from me, even though I supposedly have insurance!
The appointment is early enough in the morning (and hopefully painless enough) that I'll be returning to work after, rather than just going home to watch Myth Busters on Tivo.
I've been thinking about The Girl on the Bridge. It's about a woman who is thinking of committing suicide. Before she can get the courage to jump off the bridge, a man comes up and speaks to her. He is a knife thrower, and he needs an assistant... that's all I'll say about it. My wife and I saw it when we were dating, and I did a quick search and was surprised to see it was never released on DVD in America. Might have to go the Asian all-region route. The movie stars Vanessa Paradis, AKA Mrs. Johnny Depp. She was a star (movies, TV, singing) in France long before Mr. 21 Jump Street sidled up to her with his scissorhands.
UPDATE: Returned an hour and a half later, feeling like I took a sucker punch to the right side of my face. At least the total was only $51 today. As an adult, I weigh all the factors, and my pain threshold rises as the bill lowers. Is that totally crazy? I know it would hurt much worse if the bill had been $300, for example. Can other people weigh factors in this manner? Like, if he said he'd cut the price in half if he skipped the novacaine, I'd probably say "Okay, give me half an hour to get drunk and let's do it!"
The appointment is early enough in the morning (and hopefully painless enough) that I'll be returning to work after, rather than just going home to watch Myth Busters on Tivo.
I've been thinking about The Girl on the Bridge. It's about a woman who is thinking of committing suicide. Before she can get the courage to jump off the bridge, a man comes up and speaks to her. He is a knife thrower, and he needs an assistant... that's all I'll say about it. My wife and I saw it when we were dating, and I did a quick search and was surprised to see it was never released on DVD in America. Might have to go the Asian all-region route. The movie stars Vanessa Paradis, AKA Mrs. Johnny Depp. She was a star (movies, TV, singing) in France long before Mr. 21 Jump Street sidled up to her with his scissorhands.UPDATE: Returned an hour and a half later, feeling like I took a sucker punch to the right side of my face. At least the total was only $51 today. As an adult, I weigh all the factors, and my pain threshold rises as the bill lowers. Is that totally crazy? I know it would hurt much worse if the bill had been $300, for example. Can other people weigh factors in this manner? Like, if he said he'd cut the price in half if he skipped the novacaine, I'd probably say "Okay, give me half an hour to get drunk and let's do it!"
Comments:
<< Home
Every time somebody mentions a dentist, I just immediately think of Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors. Then I cringe and assume the fetal position.
Post a Comment
<< Home

