Thursday, August 25, 2005

 

The Horror! The Horror!

We received my sister-in-law's wedding invitation yesterday. We'll be spending a weekend in NYC in October. That's going to be fun. Every time we go up there (I can count all the times on one hand) we have a long list of things to see and get to less than half of them. But we always find something else cool in the same neighborhood, so we can't complain. It's a hell of a city. I would never want to live there, but it's a blast to visit.

My other sister-in-law and her husband are coming to the river this weekend. Hopefully I'll stay off the barnacles this time. It's healing up nicely, with no puffiness. Looks like I dodged infection.

Since I've been in a horror movie mood recently, fun link of the day: Icons of Fright (and not Icons Off Right, as the link may be read!). Good DVD reviews, lots of interviews, and a (frankly kinda creepy) gallery of stars with whom he's posed, along with a helpful (anal) recount of what each person charged for a photo/autograph.

Comments:
I've had the good fortune of traveling quite a bit, and have made several trips through the northeast. I've passed through New York a couple times on drives to Toronto.

Anyway, in all my trips up north, I've never stopped in NYC. I've heard people say it's a great place to visit and a horrible place to live. On the other hand, I've known several people who've lived there (either grew up in the city or moved there for a job), and they really like it.

So what are the pros and cons of NYC? We're starting to scout out jobs in preparation for completion of Paul's doctorate studies, and I trust your opinion.
 
i have never been to NYC. or anywhere further east than, like, missouri.
 
Lauren, I've never been to Wyoming or Colorado. Went to a wedding in South Dakota, and went to Wind Cave and camped outside and heard coyotes at night.

Kate, I'll be able to say more in about a month, but I think the best things about NYC are: Any kind of food you want, whenever you want it; Don't need a car; "culture" (in quotes because it could mean people, museums, neighborhoods, concerts, shows, etc.); lots of funky places (yes, you often see people trying too hard, but you can also catch someone doing something unique just because that's who he or she is)...

The worst things: Cost (I don't know how anyone has a car there. Paying for a garage space costs thousands); Rent (you could rent a huge house in other parts of America for what you pay for a studio apartment in NYC. One small room!); People (they're everywhere. sure, there are times when the hustle of the city is exciting, but it never lets up. There are a lot of people. It is unrelenting).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?