Monday, August 29, 2005
The forecast is unscheduled swimming!
As a fisherman, I make a good editor. I wandered down to the dock Saturday afternoon and spied a fishing pole. I cast it a few times, getting a feel for it. After a while, I got bored not catching anything, so I said to myself, "Okay, one last time." I pulled my arm way back to cast it as far as I could. I shot my arm forward and--in slow motion--pitched forward off the dock and into the water.
I wasn't dressed for swimming.
By Sunday afternoon the contents of my wallet had dried on a towel, but my shoes were still squishy.
A bright spot in the weekend was that my wife made a fantastic Chinese meal for five people, including eggrolls made from scratch.
I read. A lot. I always have a few books sitting around I've started. I don't normally rave about whatever book I happen to be reading, but The Straw Men, the debut novel from Michael Marshall is very, very good. I don't even want to describe it, for fear of giving something away. Let's just say that if you've ever been the least bit paranoid, and thought perhaps things are not what they seem, this is the book for you. It's a straight-up thriller, and a good one. It's been out long enough for used copies to be available everywhere, so look for it. I got it on amazon.com for a penny. (Yes, a penny.)
It's the first of three books, but the second one is already out (which I also bought for a penny) and picks up three months after the events of the first novel. The final book is coming out tomorrow, so you could have all three books in your hands, based solely on Smacky's recommendation. And have I ever steered you wrong? (Or at all for that matter, which is the same as never steering you wrong, since a track record of zero is still a perfect score...)
I wasn't dressed for swimming.
By Sunday afternoon the contents of my wallet had dried on a towel, but my shoes were still squishy.
A bright spot in the weekend was that my wife made a fantastic Chinese meal for five people, including eggrolls made from scratch.
I read. A lot. I always have a few books sitting around I've started. I don't normally rave about whatever book I happen to be reading, but The Straw Men, the debut novel from Michael Marshall is very, very good. I don't even want to describe it, for fear of giving something away. Let's just say that if you've ever been the least bit paranoid, and thought perhaps things are not what they seem, this is the book for you. It's a straight-up thriller, and a good one. It's been out long enough for used copies to be available everywhere, so look for it. I got it on amazon.com for a penny. (Yes, a penny.)It's the first of three books, but the second one is already out (which I also bought for a penny) and picks up three months after the events of the first novel. The final book is coming out tomorrow, so you could have all three books in your hands, based solely on Smacky's recommendation. And have I ever steered you wrong? (Or at all for that matter, which is the same as never steering you wrong, since a track record of zero is still a perfect score...)
Comments:
<< Home
Somebody totally special ordered that book from my bookstore today! If only I had read this earlier, I could have told them to save their money for crystal meth, as people in WY are wont to do.
If you're looking to do a little swimming, you could always move to the South. This week's recreational schedule: "Hurricane Dodging 101," "Mandatory Evacuation Calisthenics," and "Jumping Off Your Roof Into 15 Feet of Water Where Your Living Room Used to Be."
Post a Comment
<< Home

