Friday, August 19, 2005
Coupons, baby. We got coupons...
This weekend I will be spending part of the time with two nuns from New York City that love to go really fast in a speedboat. Just mentioning that first, since it's probably the oddest part of today's post.
You know you're married when your date night entails going to three places in the same mall and using coupons at all three. First, dinner at a Mexican restaurant, using a $10 off coupon. Why yes, I think I will have the larger size margarita! Next, she went to Linens and Things (I'm not much for using "-n-" for the word "and," okay?) with a $100 gift certificate and got a BUNCH of stuff. They let her use several 20% off coupons too, which they weren't supposed to do, which brought her total down to $82. Then, they gave her cash for her change, rather than store credit. So she walked out with bags of kitchen crap and $18. Finally, a walk to Borders, where I picked up these:

And used a 30% off coupon doing it.
The first is rather obvious. 1,000 record covers, loosely arranged by theme. The second is a history of Pink Floyd, written by the drummer. I've read a few reviews that he whitewashes the past and doesn't mention a lot of the tensions the band went through. But I can find that kind of gossip in other books, so I'm happy with all the stories and unreleased photos.
-----
I love records. I'm not a snobby audiophile who complains that digital CDs and MP3s are only approximations of the real music and only vinyl captures true sound. Not at all. I love my iPod. But there's something about those records, with their big covers with artwork and lyrics, and the feel of the cardboard, not encased in plastic like a CD, and putting the needle on the record.... My love for these things is certainly helped by the fact that I can find them in a million different places, and usually pay no more than a dollar each. I have a small stack I bought at a local Goodwill store I'm taking down to listen to this weekend, mostly some big hits from the 1970s I would never buy on CD, and a couple of obscure 80s bands that haven't made it to CD yet.
You know you're married when your date night entails going to three places in the same mall and using coupons at all three. First, dinner at a Mexican restaurant, using a $10 off coupon. Why yes, I think I will have the larger size margarita! Next, she went to Linens and Things (I'm not much for using "-n-" for the word "and," okay?) with a $100 gift certificate and got a BUNCH of stuff. They let her use several 20% off coupons too, which they weren't supposed to do, which brought her total down to $82. Then, they gave her cash for her change, rather than store credit. So she walked out with bags of kitchen crap and $18. Finally, a walk to Borders, where I picked up these:

And used a 30% off coupon doing it.
The first is rather obvious. 1,000 record covers, loosely arranged by theme. The second is a history of Pink Floyd, written by the drummer. I've read a few reviews that he whitewashes the past and doesn't mention a lot of the tensions the band went through. But I can find that kind of gossip in other books, so I'm happy with all the stories and unreleased photos.
-----
I love records. I'm not a snobby audiophile who complains that digital CDs and MP3s are only approximations of the real music and only vinyl captures true sound. Not at all. I love my iPod. But there's something about those records, with their big covers with artwork and lyrics, and the feel of the cardboard, not encased in plastic like a CD, and putting the needle on the record.... My love for these things is certainly helped by the fact that I can find them in a million different places, and usually pay no more than a dollar each. I have a small stack I bought at a local Goodwill store I'm taking down to listen to this weekend, mostly some big hits from the 1970s I would never buy on CD, and a couple of obscure 80s bands that haven't made it to CD yet.
Comments:
<< Home
I remember listening to records as a kid. The day my brother broke our machine was a sad sad day in the H-B household.
Post a Comment
<< Home

