Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Quality is Job One. Or is it profit? I forget.
During the week, Laura and I tend to get stressed about work, about owning too many homes and paying bills for all of them, and other general bullshit. I rarely vent at work about anything, so it bottles up and eventually comes out at home. That's when we have an argument about something stupid. I know were incredibly lucky. Just having the ability to pay bills and mortgages for three homes is amazing. Even though it's tight, we still have the means to continue to do this indefinitely. We're not on the verge of bankruptcy or anything like that. So, I'm sorry we argued last night. We already made up, and she doesn't read this, but I thought I'd say it here anyway. I love you.
Yesterday after work I bought a lawnmower, brought it home, assembled it, and cut the grass for about two hours. I'd reached the frustration point. We were going to get a service to mow it, but every company said you had to do it weekly. No one would cut it bi-weekly. So for the cost of a month of mows, I bought my own mower and did it myself. It was in the low 90s yesterday, so it probably wasn't the best day to decide to do it, but I'm a really stubborn person sometimes. I'm aware of that.
The final result is that the lawn looks amazing. The first cut was definitely the worst, since it hadn't been mowed in almost a month and was approaching knee high. I figure from now on I can finish in about a third of the time it took yesterday.
Later this week I have to go to the other house and mow that lawn too. The house that is still for sale. Sigh.
Oh! I don't know exactly when the salaries for the next fiscal year were decided, or if winning the award was a factor in the decision, but I was told on Friday that I'm getting a 7.57% raise. That's over double the 3% cost of living (COL) adjustment. Smacky rocks!
Have you guys seen Shawn of the Dead? If you haven't, shame on you and go rent it now. I don't want to spoil it, but Don't Stop Me Now by Queen just came on my iPod, and I can't hear that song without picturing a very funny scene from that movie. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.
Yesterday after work I bought a lawnmower, brought it home, assembled it, and cut the grass for about two hours. I'd reached the frustration point. We were going to get a service to mow it, but every company said you had to do it weekly. No one would cut it bi-weekly. So for the cost of a month of mows, I bought my own mower and did it myself. It was in the low 90s yesterday, so it probably wasn't the best day to decide to do it, but I'm a really stubborn person sometimes. I'm aware of that.
The final result is that the lawn looks amazing. The first cut was definitely the worst, since it hadn't been mowed in almost a month and was approaching knee high. I figure from now on I can finish in about a third of the time it took yesterday.
Later this week I have to go to the other house and mow that lawn too. The house that is still for sale. Sigh.
Oh! I don't know exactly when the salaries for the next fiscal year were decided, or if winning the award was a factor in the decision, but I was told on Friday that I'm getting a 7.57% raise. That's over double the 3% cost of living (COL) adjustment. Smacky rocks!
Have you guys seen Shawn of the Dead? If you haven't, shame on you and go rent it now. I don't want to spoil it, but Don't Stop Me Now by Queen just came on my iPod, and I can't hear that song without picturing a very funny scene from that movie. If you've seen it, you know what I mean.
