Friday, June 03, 2005

 

It's My Life

Sigh (of contentment). Yesterday I worked without thinking, ceaseless. Well, I stopped when it was done, obviously. You have to stop then. If you keep working when you're finished, you just look stupid.

I'm talking about moving, of course. Moving boxes. Moving furniture. Yesterday was rather amazing. Every worker, every person I was supposed to meet with, showed up at the earliest point of their estimate. The movers said they'd arrive between 8 and 9, got there at 8. The locksmith to change the locks on the doors. The storage company delivered the pods. Unfortunately, they delivered them at noon, and the movers had finished and left at 10. I spent the next five hours emptying them both alone. Direct TV guy came and wired the house, meaning I was able to watch a marathon of America's Next Top Model on VH1.

Our new house is great. Smaller than the old place, but that's perfect because we had rooms we never entered there. It's a bungalow, built in 1937. It has the biggest backyard I've ever seen in the city.

I was bad in one way yesterday: I smoked. For the first time in a long time. It was nasty at first, but got better as the day went on. It's like riding a bike. A bike that fills your lungs with over 500 poisons. Nasty. So I've stopped again. I just did it yesterday because only nicotine and caffeine could get me through. Yesterday I had a bowl of watermelon and a cup of coffee. Then is was straight cigarettes and bottles of water the rest of the day until dinner.

The animals are getting settled. Lexi is exploring the big backyard, slowly coming to realize she can run without having to make tight sudden turns, as at our previous house's smaller yard. The cats are poking their heads in every inch of the house. They explored the basement and found a dusty corner somewhere, coming up with their heads covered in cobwebs.

Oh Oh Oh! I caught the premiere of a fantastic show last night: Hit Me Baby One More Time NBC describes the show this way (parenthetical comments are my own): Veteran Hitmakers (has-beens) perform and compete (watch to see who got fat: the lead singer of Loverboy; who lost his hair: the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls, ironically; and who still looks pretty good, I must confess: Tiffany).

Each artist played and/or sang their big 80s hit, then returned and performed their rendition of a current hit. That's the genius part of the show. In the first half hour, you get to decide how closely they still sound like they did 20 years ago, and in the second half you decide how much you like their version of whatever hit they chose to do. Some of them just did a straight cover: Loverboy did Hero by Enriquez Eglasias (I know I slaughtered his name. I don't care enough to google him to get the spelling right). I know this show is a copy of one done in England last year. That one used all British artists, some who only had hits there and are unknown in the US.

The point of that rambling was to say I loved that show. With CSI in reruns all summer, my pop culture loving inner geek can just have a geekgasm.

By the way, future artists on the show will include Wang Chung (Wang Chung Tonight), The Knack (My Sharona), Irene Cara (Fame), Cameo (Word Up!), Tommy Tutone (867-5309), and Vanilla Ice (forgot the name of his hit. Kidding! Who could forget the immortal Ice Ice Baby, with its opening riff stolen from Queen's Under Pressure.)

I love this stuff. To quote the completely clueless McDonald ad campaign I mentioned a month or so ago, "I'd hit that."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?