Thursday, May 05, 2005

 

Well We're Movin' On Up...to the East Side!

Yesterday morning in frustration over the house hunting, I said to my wife "I just to have some idea what I'll be doing next week!" Well, now I do.

As you may recall, we put in a bid on a house on April 25 that was rejected almost immediately. The owner expected ours to be the first of many escalating offers. It wasn't. On April 27, he lowered the asking price $25,000. On May 2, his realtor called our realtor and asked if we were still interested. We didn't respond. At noon yesterday, my wife called and said our realtor had just called and said that at 11am the asking price was lowered another $20,000. The new asking price was now officially $1,000 LESS than what we had offered nine days earlier and had rejected.

Yesterday afternoon we put in a bid for the asking price, and it was accepted right away. So nine days later, we bought a house for $1,000 less than we had been willing to pay! My head is swimming, this all happened so fast. HOLYSHITWEJUSTBOUGHTAHOUSE!!!! Excuse me. It's still sinking in.

Now the fun part: Our house has to go on the market next week. We need to pack boxes, toss junk, and generally clean the place out. Fast. Anyone want to buy a house?

Oh, funny story: I'm a member of the local freecycle group. People offer things up on the web for free to anyone who wants it, or they post looking for things. Yesterday I posted asking for moving boxes (as many people move into this area each week, why buy boxes, right?) Five minutes later I had set up a time to meet a woman at her office nearby and pick up a bunch of boxes. The woman works at Whitman Walker Clinic, which "provides culturally sensitive, compassionate health care and supportive services to gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals" (description from their website). The boxes (perfect sizes for our needs) were from deliveries to their clinic, so many of the boxes have things stamped on the side. Things like 1,000 condoms, assorted flavors. Astroglide, 25 sample boxes. Flavored dental dams, one gross. When we move in, our new neighbors will think we're quite the swingers!

AAAAAUGH! WE BOUGHT A HOUSE!!!!

Sorry. It's still sinking in.

Comments:
Congratulations on your house and condom boxes!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?