Monday, May 02, 2005

 

Please don't spoil my day...I'm only sleeping

Weekend: Sleep. Man, during the week, I see sleep as something I have to do between days. Usually right around six hours a day. This weekend, my body finally said "Okay, you know what? This is bullshit. I'm tired and you're gonna damn well sleep." So sleep I did. Sleeping until 9, with naps in the afternoons too.

This was a weekend spent in bed quite a lot, actually. (grin)


I can't believe it's May. Another year half over. Long ago, in the 1990s, May meant exams, and packing up and moving out of dorms. (Shudder.) I don't miss that. When I was in college, Bush was president and we were at war with Iraq...huh. The other Bush. The one that seems slightly less "faith-based."

When I was awake this weekend, the weather did more than cooperate, it bent over backwards to please. Saturday evening I grilled on the deck for the first time this year! A cloudy wet early Sunday morning gave way to a sunny afternoon with a smooth breeze off the water.

Welcome back, Family Guy. You've still got it. You've still got the funny.

In her blog, Kate described her perfect solitary day, so I thought I'd do the same. Let's pretend it's a Saturday, my wife is in...Chicago...on business. I probably wake up pretty early, because the cats and the dog don't let me sleep in too often. I feed them, get dressed (jeans, a ringer tee, black adidas samba sneakers) and head out to the diner. Do the crossword over a cup of coffee, pancakes and bacon. Go to the used bookstore and spend about two hours browsing all the shelves. Next stop is the movie theater to see whatever stupid horror movie is playing there. Quick lunch somewhere Caribbean or African (somewhere you can get fried plantains). The meal puts me in the mood to head into downtown DC, to the always fun but never crowded African History Museum. Wander the rooms, looking at the Kente cloth and b&w photos. Get out of DC immediately after, because spring Saturdays in DC are a nightmare throng of tourists. Drive out to Tysons Corner. Stop at Tower Records and browse the import section. Roll eyes at $35 price tag on CD I want. Put it back and leave. Arrive back home, go into backyard with dog and a good paperback (picked up earlier at the used bookstore. Oh, you didn't see me buy that?). Read until sun starts setting. Go inside, order pizza, crack open a beer, put in DVD, maybe something by Jackie Chan. Old School Kung Fu. Lay on sofa, both cats climb up and fall asleep on me. Head upstairs to bed around 10, put on a CD, something mellow, jazz or Al Green. Read a little more until my eyes get heavy. All the animals are asleep on the bed and I pet each and say goodnight before switching off the light.

Whew. Full day. Most likely my wife would call just after dinner and we'd talk for a while, so insert that between the pizza and the Jackie Chan. I also described the perfect day under current circumstances. I could have said "I wake to the sounds of the waves outside my hut in Fiji..." but I assumed Kate meant perfect low-key day alone where you are right now. Right?

Comments:
Sounds relaxing. :) Always nice to see what others would do when the constraints of work and family (and life in general) slip away for a while.

Oh ... and welcome back home. Hope you two lovebirds had a blast. :P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?