Wednesday, May 25, 2005
In awe.
We saw Revenge of the Sith last night. I can't give an objective review, so I won't even try. I had all the toys growing up. ALL OF THEM. (I was the baby of the family, and one spoiled lil' bastard!) I had the Death Star. (I'm linking to that auction just so you can see a few pictures of it.) It was immense. It was beautiful. It had a working elevator. A trash compactor that really "compacted" when you turned the handle. A big gun on top that would "explode" when you flipped the switch. It was a marvel of 1970s design. My point is, objectively reviewing the new movie would be like asking a father to objectively review his daughter's dance routine. It can't be done. "Well, she started out okay, but she was pretty weak in the middle and I got bored..."
I can say it was definitely the strongest of the prequel trilogy, and the one that finally gave fans what they wanted. It's the one of the first three I'm likely to watch the most often. I never liked The Phantom Menace. I was in Africa when it came out, and by the time I returned to the States, we had to go to a dollar theater in Portland, Maine to see it. (This was October 1999. The movie had been out six months by then.) After all the years waiting, I did not expect to see a little kid screaming "Yippee!" I suppose it's supposed to make it more tragic when you see what he ultimately becomes, but... And I totally didn't buy that the Jedi Council couldn't raise the funds to buy Anakin's mother too. Fine, they don't have the right kind of money, but when they got back to their home planet Yoda couldn't give them something from petty cash to go back for Mom? How much could she have cost?
Speaking of cost, no offers on the house yet. We have to remind ourselves it's only been five days.
I can say it was definitely the strongest of the prequel trilogy, and the one that finally gave fans what they wanted. It's the one of the first three I'm likely to watch the most often. I never liked The Phantom Menace. I was in Africa when it came out, and by the time I returned to the States, we had to go to a dollar theater in Portland, Maine to see it. (This was October 1999. The movie had been out six months by then.) After all the years waiting, I did not expect to see a little kid screaming "Yippee!" I suppose it's supposed to make it more tragic when you see what he ultimately becomes, but... And I totally didn't buy that the Jedi Council couldn't raise the funds to buy Anakin's mother too. Fine, they don't have the right kind of money, but when they got back to their home planet Yoda couldn't give them something from petty cash to go back for Mom? How much could she have cost?
Speaking of cost, no offers on the house yet. We have to remind ourselves it's only been five days.
