Tuesday, May 10, 2005
gonna make it, gonna make it, gonna make it.
Ever see The Three Amigos? This entry's title is a line Steve Martin chanted as he was chained to the wall and trying to free himself.
Yesterday after work (immediately after work, in fact) we met the home inspector and realtor at the "soon-to-be-ours" house to confirm it's not falling apart. It passed! A few small things to fix when we move in, but nothing that will require a second job selling my plasma. That's a nice feeling, knowing my plasma is safe.
Painting and sanding continues at our current house. They were gone when we finally got home (around 6), but the dust everywhere testified to their activities. It will be very nice when this is all done. Right now all the furniture is piled into one room, on each floor of our house. So all the furniture is in our master bedroom and the family room. When they finish painting, and the other guy finishes polishing the wood floors, we can put stuff back. I've been so tense about this stuff, my wife has gone from sympathy and concern into the realm of annoyance. I actually have to tell myself Calm the fuck down. When did I suddenly become Captain Worst Case Scenario? I've always been the cheery optimistic one. This just brings up my whole "I hate change" issue. For someone that dropped everything and moved to Africa, I find myself resisting change recently. I don't know if that's a growing-up thing, or just a lazy-ass thing. We stopped by Borders Sunday afternoon after my near panic attack, and I picked up The Essential Chill Collection. The reviews are mixed, but it's seven CDs of chill out music (one reviewer called it "boring," which seems to miss the point and purpose of the music). At $30, I was just happy it was the original artists, and not "The Original Chill Out Happy Time Singers Performing Your Favorite Hits!"
This whole move is bringing back memories of starting at new schools. I went to a "gifted opportunities" school for fifth grade, which meant all-new classmates from the ones I'd been with since kindergarten. Then moving up to middle school was so scary, because I was returning to all the other kids I used to know, and it was like I'd been out of town for a year and returned. Sort of like that song by the Eagles: New Kid in Town. I always loved that song.
Yesterday after work (immediately after work, in fact) we met the home inspector and realtor at the "soon-to-be-ours" house to confirm it's not falling apart. It passed! A few small things to fix when we move in, but nothing that will require a second job selling my plasma. That's a nice feeling, knowing my plasma is safe.
Painting and sanding continues at our current house. They were gone when we finally got home (around 6), but the dust everywhere testified to their activities. It will be very nice when this is all done. Right now all the furniture is piled into one room, on each floor of our house. So all the furniture is in our master bedroom and the family room. When they finish painting, and the other guy finishes polishing the wood floors, we can put stuff back. I've been so tense about this stuff, my wife has gone from sympathy and concern into the realm of annoyance. I actually have to tell myself Calm the fuck down. When did I suddenly become Captain Worst Case Scenario? I've always been the cheery optimistic one. This just brings up my whole "I hate change" issue. For someone that dropped everything and moved to Africa, I find myself resisting change recently. I don't know if that's a growing-up thing, or just a lazy-ass thing. We stopped by Borders Sunday afternoon after my near panic attack, and I picked up The Essential Chill Collection. The reviews are mixed, but it's seven CDs of chill out music (one reviewer called it "boring," which seems to miss the point and purpose of the music). At $30, I was just happy it was the original artists, and not "The Original Chill Out Happy Time Singers Performing Your Favorite Hits!"
This whole move is bringing back memories of starting at new schools. I went to a "gifted opportunities" school for fifth grade, which meant all-new classmates from the ones I'd been with since kindergarten. Then moving up to middle school was so scary, because I was returning to all the other kids I used to know, and it was like I'd been out of town for a year and returned. Sort of like that song by the Eagles: New Kid in Town. I always loved that song.
Comments:
<< Home
(cue cool theme music -- most likely selected from The Essential Chill Collection)...
"Hey! Who's that over there? Is it...? Yes! It's CAPTAIN WORST-CASE SCENARIO and his sidekick, the MURPHY'S LAW KID! ... Run, kids! Before they try to 'help' us again!"
Post a Comment
"Hey! Who's that over there? Is it...? Yes! It's CAPTAIN WORST-CASE SCENARIO and his sidekick, the MURPHY'S LAW KID! ... Run, kids! Before they try to 'help' us again!"
<< Home

