Tuesday, April 12, 2005

 

We screen for felons and marrieds!

My spam filter on my primary personal email address is set really high, meaning you almost need to know me to get through. I lowered it a touch when friends from my Peace Corps days started writing from all over the world from new strange email addresses, sending huge attachments with pictures of gorillas and Victoria Falls. But it's still rare to get spam, so when I do, I sometimes open it. The one I got today was for a dating site that promises:

We're safe! We screen for felons and marrieds.


Yeah, at first that was amusing, but then it dawned on me that this company assumes that to "singles," there's little difference between felons and "marrieds." Ouch.(When did MARRIEDS become a noun? What movie or tv show was it that had the character saying "We refer to you people as "the normals"?) I'm married, but I never held up a liquor store. And you sent your dating site to ME. That's the awkward thing. If this email was a person, it would be the one at the party telling a joke about Jews to someone, and having the person respond, "I'm Jewish, ya jerk." Oops. You can't respect socially inept spam.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from the Republican party asking for a donation. The letter started by thanking me for helping to get Bush reelected. Oh man! What did I inadvertently do that helped him?

Never found the cat's collar and tags, by the way. I even crawled into the crawl space under the house. I'm picking up a new one after work. I'm also going to get Hotel Rwanda.

Oh, and I came across the lyrics to the theme to Fall Guy, the Lee Majors/Heather Thomas show about stuntmen (stuntpersons? What's the nonsexist term?). I wasn't actively searching for them. It's a long story. But here they are:

I never spend much time in school but I taught ladies plenty. It's true I hire my body out for pay, hey hey. I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs, blown up for Raquel Welch. But when I end up in the hay it's only hay, hey hey. I might jump an open drawbridge, or Tarzan from a vine. 'Cause I'm the unknown stuntman that makes Eastwood look so fine.

I believe there was also a verse about Burt Reynolds, but that could be incorrect. I'm searching an old corner of my mind, and it's pretty dusty back there.

Comments:
Those lyrics remind me of the Six Million Dollar Man episode when Steve Austin sang to Jamie Sommers. Then I twitched uncontrollably for hours.
 
Felons and marrieds. I think I see a connection, sure.

In crazyworld.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?