Thursday, April 21, 2005
Watch out for snakes!
I feel so much better today, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I got 8.5 hours of sleep last night as opposed to my usual 6. Maybe it's because my wife and I made up, which definitely lowered my stress level. Maybe it's because the news about the other two had time to sink in. Maybe something in my brain just went click, and whether that sound means a switch came on, or some component inside just popped from too much pressure (uh oh...) the end result is that I'm sitting here feeling really good, much better than I have reason to feel. I'm not going to question it (any longer). I'm just going to accept it.
We went to look at a few properties yesterday after work (as you may recall, we're considering selling our current house and moving into a condo or a smaller house, in order to bank some cash in this insane market). The first place, no lie, looked like something out of a horror movie. From the inside, it was clear that about five additions had been put on the house, over a period of several decades. Example: The hallway to the stairs to the basement. For some reason, the hallway was less than two feet wide. Maybe 18 inches total. What the hell? I had to turn my shoulders to walk down it. How many building codes did that violate? I had a definite urge to scream "3PO! SHUT DOWN ALL THE COMPACTORS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!"
The creepiest part, though, was the fact that the owner did little things to cheer the place up, slapping bright paint up here and there, and the basement, oh my, the basement...a series of dark rooms, and off of one of them, at the end, they had put up sheet rock and painted and they were calling it a bedroom. It was maybe 6x8, room for a child's bed maybe, with a small half window at the top of one wall. It's the sort of room the press describe as "...where she had been kept prisoner for eight months, subsisting on american cheese slices."
Creep factor for this house (on scale of 10): 9, with an option to make 10, if it turns out it's also haunted with the ghost of someone killed there. Brrrrrr...
Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I wish you all lived closer. We could have a cookout this weekend. How do you like your burgers? Or chicken breasts, or bratwurst, or veggie dogs (which my wife likes)? Anyway, you made smacky smile. Thanks.
Two points if you can name the source for today's entry title. Two points and a pack of gum, flavor of your choice!
We went to look at a few properties yesterday after work (as you may recall, we're considering selling our current house and moving into a condo or a smaller house, in order to bank some cash in this insane market). The first place, no lie, looked like something out of a horror movie. From the inside, it was clear that about five additions had been put on the house, over a period of several decades. Example: The hallway to the stairs to the basement. For some reason, the hallway was less than two feet wide. Maybe 18 inches total. What the hell? I had to turn my shoulders to walk down it. How many building codes did that violate? I had a definite urge to scream "3PO! SHUT DOWN ALL THE COMPACTORS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL!"
The creepiest part, though, was the fact that the owner did little things to cheer the place up, slapping bright paint up here and there, and the basement, oh my, the basement...a series of dark rooms, and off of one of them, at the end, they had put up sheet rock and painted and they were calling it a bedroom. It was maybe 6x8, room for a child's bed maybe, with a small half window at the top of one wall. It's the sort of room the press describe as "...where she had been kept prisoner for eight months, subsisting on american cheese slices."
Creep factor for this house (on scale of 10): 9, with an option to make 10, if it turns out it's also haunted with the ghost of someone killed there. Brrrrrr...
Thanks for the nice comments, folks. I wish you all lived closer. We could have a cookout this weekend. How do you like your burgers? Or chicken breasts, or bratwurst, or veggie dogs (which my wife likes)? Anyway, you made smacky smile. Thanks.
Two points if you can name the source for today's entry title. Two points and a pack of gum, flavor of your choice!
Comments:
<< Home
(1.) Glad you're feeling better. Being concerned is okay, and it sounds like you're taking things in stride. I've got two ears and one mouth -- if you want to talk, you know where to find me.
(2.) Cookouts are awesome ... so you better invite us all before you move. ;-) I like veggie chicken (Morningstar Farms' Chik Patties). My parents are vegan. It makes for really interesting family gatherings.
(3.) The quote is from MST3K -- greatest show ever. Gimme my two points, and send me some Dentyne Ice, dammit. (Or I'll just pick it up at the cookout -- your choice.)
(2.) Cookouts are awesome ... so you better invite us all before you move. ;-) I like veggie chicken (Morningstar Farms' Chik Patties). My parents are vegan. It makes for really interesting family gatherings.
(3.) The quote is from MST3K -- greatest show ever. Gimme my two points, and send me some Dentyne Ice, dammit. (Or I'll just pick it up at the cookout -- your choice.)
While I've never seen the E-Gah episode of MST3K, I do like all manner of cookout food be it hamburgers, hot dogs, turkey legs, pizza, cheese souffle - what have you.
Post a Comment
<< Home

