Tuesday, April 26, 2005
No soup for you! (I didn't want soup anyway.)
Well, we didn't get that house. We were the only bidder, but we offered below their (really too high) asking price. They turned us down 30 minutes after they received the bid, so they're really confident someone will buy the place for what they want. I'll bet it will still be on he market in two weeks at that price, which is a sign it's too high, because nothing stays on the market two weeks in this area.
I wrote an author we had worked with about a year ago, asking if he'd be interested in a sequel to the last book, and he returned with ideas for three more books. So work, which I never discuss here, is going really well.
After we received the news about not getting the house, we decided to celebrate (drown our sorrows?) so we went to Ledo Pizza. They specialize in thin crust pizza... my favorite. I don't like huge mounds on thick crust. I got one with black olives, mushrooms, onion, salami, pepperoni, and meatball. THAT, my friends, is drowning your sorrow!
After dinner, we went next door to Trader Joe's, because we needed strange food items to keep us happy. I got yogurt covered cherries and ginger snaps with crystallized ginger in them. Wife got hulled pumpkin seeds and coconut macaroons.
I started reading We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro. I thought it would make a nice companion on the shelf with Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton. It's got some very funny passages.
Speaking of books, friends (those who like to read and discuss books now and then) are often surprised by my choice of reading. A master's in English and a job as an editor, yet it's very unlikely anything I read nowadays will ever be studied in a classroom. They don't understand that much of my time in Peace Corps was filled with solid days of reading. The college was closed with all the students protesting in the streets, we're told not to venture outside if you don't need to, and I'm sitting there with a pile of books in a concrete house with no air conditioning. Any activity more strenuous than turning a page brings on a torrent of sweat my body can't afford to lose. So for a few weeks there, my life was spent lying on a bed with a floor fan pointed at me, reading for hours and hours. I read big, thick, Russian novels. I filled in some of the gaps of my education, reading genres of literature I had (happily) avoided.
Now I just want to read what catches my interest. I've recently read a book about Hemingway's time in Cuba, a pulp mystery originally published in the 1950s, and a novel based on the character from the Fox show Dark Angel. I was never a literary snob (although I did sneer at The Bridges of Madison County, and yes, I read it to make sure it deserved a good sneering) but now I appear to be wallowing in literary junk food. I'm not concerned though. It's what I need now, outside the office. Eventually, I'll cycle back toward slightly more "important" books, but I'm so glad I read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books long ago, so I can appropriately geek out over the new movie coming.
HEY! Look to your left. I finally got off my butt and updated my links, wheee!
I wrote an author we had worked with about a year ago, asking if he'd be interested in a sequel to the last book, and he returned with ideas for three more books. So work, which I never discuss here, is going really well.
After we received the news about not getting the house, we decided to celebrate (drown our sorrows?) so we went to Ledo Pizza. They specialize in thin crust pizza... my favorite. I don't like huge mounds on thick crust. I got one with black olives, mushrooms, onion, salami, pepperoni, and meatball. THAT, my friends, is drowning your sorrow!
After dinner, we went next door to Trader Joe's, because we needed strange food items to keep us happy. I got yogurt covered cherries and ginger snaps with crystallized ginger in them. Wife got hulled pumpkin seeds and coconut macaroons.
I started reading We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive by Laurie Notaro. I thought it would make a nice companion on the shelf with Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton. It's got some very funny passages.
Speaking of books, friends (those who like to read and discuss books now and then) are often surprised by my choice of reading. A master's in English and a job as an editor, yet it's very unlikely anything I read nowadays will ever be studied in a classroom. They don't understand that much of my time in Peace Corps was filled with solid days of reading. The college was closed with all the students protesting in the streets, we're told not to venture outside if you don't need to, and I'm sitting there with a pile of books in a concrete house with no air conditioning. Any activity more strenuous than turning a page brings on a torrent of sweat my body can't afford to lose. So for a few weeks there, my life was spent lying on a bed with a floor fan pointed at me, reading for hours and hours. I read big, thick, Russian novels. I filled in some of the gaps of my education, reading genres of literature I had (happily) avoided.
Now I just want to read what catches my interest. I've recently read a book about Hemingway's time in Cuba, a pulp mystery originally published in the 1950s, and a novel based on the character from the Fox show Dark Angel. I was never a literary snob (although I did sneer at The Bridges of Madison County, and yes, I read it to make sure it deserved a good sneering) but now I appear to be wallowing in literary junk food. I'm not concerned though. It's what I need now, outside the office. Eventually, I'll cycle back toward slightly more "important" books, but I'm so glad I read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books long ago, so I can appropriately geek out over the new movie coming.
HEY! Look to your left. I finally got off my butt and updated my links, wheee!
Comments:
<< Home
Ahhh Smacky, me feel so much closer to you now. Not so much you house problems, (me feel for you, me been there. Apartments & condos & houses, OH MY! Hint: caves am really good on market these days!) but mainly for you taste in pizza and books. Having lived near Chicago for 10 years me know what it am to be thin crust lover in world where they start piling on mounds o stuff on top or crust thick as mattress! Ledo Pizza am great! How you no love place that have Buffalo Pizza?
mmmMMMmmmbuffalo
NO! Me know it am not real buffalo, but still. And me too am also fan of pulpy fiction. Me guess me taste can be described as 'low brow' but me always think that am because everybody scowling at me choice of books. Funny you should mention Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Me just recently reread big thick collection of all in one book and me no realize there am fifth in trilogy. Me just happy to reread old favorite and BOOM, there am new story that me never know about. Me am glad there was and ending, even if me find if kind of sad.
Me also want to thank you for link! You am now first man to get free membership in Monstee's Discount House of Porn (p.p.) With support like this, me stock soon be soaring!
Post a Comment
mmmMMMmmmbuffalo
NO! Me know it am not real buffalo, but still. And me too am also fan of pulpy fiction. Me guess me taste can be described as 'low brow' but me always think that am because everybody scowling at me choice of books. Funny you should mention Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Me just recently reread big thick collection of all in one book and me no realize there am fifth in trilogy. Me just happy to reread old favorite and BOOM, there am new story that me never know about. Me am glad there was and ending, even if me find if kind of sad.
Me also want to thank you for link! You am now first man to get free membership in Monstee's Discount House of Porn (p.p.) With support like this, me stock soon be soaring!
<< Home

