Friday, April 08, 2005

 

Let the fortune cookie decide?

Wow. You guys are good. A lot of those interpretations are spot-on, and some of it hadn't occurred to me at all. Lauren: I do tend to "get over grief quickly," mostly by not dealing with, or expressing it. It has been the cause of many discussions in my life. (Aren't you upset about 9/11? Yes, but I don't think it's healthy to watch 47 hours of coverage in a row.) Kate: I think you've hit it, with the stage interpretation. In my current job, I do stand out (in a good way), but I've been wondering if perhaps there isn't more. More of what, I'm not sure. Monstee: Single-breasted jacket, but I am a fan of the boobies (though they don't have to be any particular size. They're all good. And look at our last few Presidents. Who seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, and who seems like he'd be a self-righteous stick in the mud? The sex addict or the reformed alcoholic/born again Christian? (Not a swipe at you, Lauren. Just so many Christians have no sense of humor. It's why stupid shows on Fox are being fined millions by the FCC, instead of being mocked as harmless trash. So many people think they should control WHAT exists, instead of just choosing for themselves what to (or not) watch, listen to, etc.)

Anyway, I awoke from that dream thinking it was my subconscious sorting out an idea I had been playing around with the past few months. I've been wondering if it would be possible to go freelance. I haven't mentioned this to anyone (not even the wife), and I haven't even begun the research into what it would take. I saw the dream as life moving forward (nominated for the award) whether or not I'm prepared (searching the trunk). Having to make the speech is definitely being put in a stressful situation (I don't have panic attacks, but if I know I'm going to have to speak, even if it's a small presentation in front of four colleagues I joke with every day, I can still fret about it for days in advance.)

John Lennon said "Life's what happens while you're busy making plans." I've tried to remember that as I go through these days, and live in the moment. I don't want to think "If I just get this next job, I'll be happy. If I just get this, I'll be happy. If I just DO this, I'll be happy." I want to be happy NOW. And sometimes that means I come off as not caring about things, or being emotionally distant. I'm working on that, too.

Last night, I had an excellent meal but terrible service at a restaurant. The two people I was with wanted to complain to the manager (and one of them did), but I thought back to my time in Africa. Waiting over an hour to get a traveler's check cashed; sitting in the sand on the side of the road in the desert while two guys spent 2.5 hours fixing a bus tire (no spare); waiting while they loaded 500 bags, 10 bicycles and 4 goats onto the top of a bus before we could leave... all these things remind me that a world exists where life moves at a slower pace. In France, dinner takes hours and hours, and they certainly don't value speed of preparation over quality of food like we do. Americans go to lunches that promise "in and out in 15 minutes!" We've actually become a society that wants it fast, and if that means it's not necessarily good, well, that's okay. I just need to get back to my desk!

Sometimes you just have to stop. Stop and breathe. Don't just take that next shallow breath as you run to the next place. BREATHE. (This moment brought to you by the Oxygen Council: The Incredible, Edible Oxygen.)

Comments:
"So many people think they should control WHAT exists, instead of just choosing for themselves what to (or not) watch, listen to, etc."
Hear hear!!!

"I want to be happy NOW."
You go girl!!

"Sometimes you just have to stop. Stop and breathe. Don't just take that next shallow breath as you run to the next place. BREATHE."
Preach daddy preach!!!

It have been said that life am what you make it. If you want to go freelance, then definitely do you research! It am always important to keep you feet on ground when reaching for stars. You may find that going that far forward may put you deep into fastlane and make it much harder to stop and eat roses. Monstee am not real sure what all editors do do, but from you posts you seem like you got head screwed on good and you no write unwell. If it am truly what you want, go for it! You can always take breather when you get there.

M
(hehe, do do)
 
I didn't even duck. I know that many Christians have no sense of humor.

PS-You should download the FCC song by Eric Idle of Monty Python fame. Like there's more than one famous Eric Idle or something.
 
Poop on a stick! I meant to send you a comment on Friday, got caught up in work, and forgot. >_<

Just wanted to let you know I think it's great you're looking into freelancing. I haven't really poked and prodded you to find out what kind of editing you do, but I think it's always good to at least look at the pros and cons of freelance work.

I've never freelanced as a full-time job -- it's always been "on the side" during other editing gigs. I think I'd really enjoy the variety ... but I think the lack of job security would really bother me: What if that next gig falls through?

Something to ponder: I once had a Mary Kay recruiter tell me (with a straight face, no less) that I should just quit my job and sell Mary Kay from home. When I scoffed that I couldn't possibly make enough to pay the bills, she told me, "Kate, when this IS your job, you know how much you have to make to keep those bills paid."

I'd never considered that idea before: Take then plunge and THEN worry about how to keep your head above water. It sounds like a great adventure, but you'd better make sure your wife's ready to take the leap, too.

Good luck, whatever you decide. ;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?