Wednesday, April 13, 2005
The feel-good hit of the season?
Mission accomplished. Madeline now has a new collar and tag. It's a gold/yellow toned (I completely lost the ability to spell color for a second there. Collar, color, cooler...damn. That was strange.) It's jarring to see on her, because for the first year of her life she was the diva in the pink collar. Then it fell apart and we needed a new one and they didn't have pink, so we went with red. It made her look too grown up; red is a cheap color (no offense if it's your favorite, I'm just using internal monologue like in a film noir), so this time I went with gold, with a little brass tag. Very classy. She seems to like it.
Oddly enough, the Target next door to the pet store was sold out of Hotel Rwanda. What the heck? Did anyone look at this week's new releases and say "Ah, Hotel Rwanda, that's gonna be the big seller this week!"? I think perhaps Target understocked the title. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and everyone in my neighborhood skipped this movie in theaters and wanted to watch it now. I waited, because I knew the DVD would include a full-length documentary on Paul Rusesabagina.
I ended up getting something else, a title that's only slightly less powerful in intensity: The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season.
Tonight looks like it's going to be a great episode of Lost. Watch this show. I won't discuss it here, because it's so good, if you haven't been watching it, you need to get it when it's released on DVD and watch them all before season 2.
Yesterday I was asked to contact an editor at another publisher to discuss co-publishing a book, since I had a past relationship with the person. We had worked together when we co-published a tie-in book to a PBS series when I was at my last job. It's going to be odd speaking with him again, since I haven't spoken with anyone even peripherally connected to my last position. I didn't leave on bad terms or anything, I was just really close to burning out, and I had to get the heck out of there. And never speak to any of them again. But the publishing world is pretty incestuous, so you're bound to come into contact with some of the same people sooner or later.(There is that vague enough? This is not a work blog, but I like to mention having a job now and then so you won't think I'm sitting in a park somewhere making everything up. Nope, I'm in a small office with a door that's always open, and no window.)
--------------------
Meridian Bioscience sent a deadly strain of the flu to THOUSANDS of labs across the United Stated and around the world. It was incorrectly labeled. This strain of the flu killed between 1 and 4 MILLION people in less than 2 years (between 1957 and 1958), and chances are no one you know has an immunity to it. This is how the world is going to end. Not through terrorism or war, but through carelessness and stupidity. Nice going.
---------------------
And Britney Spears, a few weeks after saying the tabloids are lying and making up stories, just announced she's pregnant. The father, her husband, is the same man that left his last girlfriend around the time she was giving birth to their second child. He's quite a catch, huh? Unfaithful, makes about as much money as a substitute teacher, and probably barely finished high school. At least by the time she decides to start recording again, the public will have moved on to someone younger.
Oddly enough, the Target next door to the pet store was sold out of Hotel Rwanda. What the heck? Did anyone look at this week's new releases and say "Ah, Hotel Rwanda, that's gonna be the big seller this week!"? I think perhaps Target understocked the title. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, and everyone in my neighborhood skipped this movie in theaters and wanted to watch it now. I waited, because I knew the DVD would include a full-length documentary on Paul Rusesabagina.
I ended up getting something else, a title that's only slightly less powerful in intensity: The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season.
Tonight looks like it's going to be a great episode of Lost. Watch this show. I won't discuss it here, because it's so good, if you haven't been watching it, you need to get it when it's released on DVD and watch them all before season 2.
Yesterday I was asked to contact an editor at another publisher to discuss co-publishing a book, since I had a past relationship with the person. We had worked together when we co-published a tie-in book to a PBS series when I was at my last job. It's going to be odd speaking with him again, since I haven't spoken with anyone even peripherally connected to my last position. I didn't leave on bad terms or anything, I was just really close to burning out, and I had to get the heck out of there. And never speak to any of them again. But the publishing world is pretty incestuous, so you're bound to come into contact with some of the same people sooner or later.(There is that vague enough? This is not a work blog, but I like to mention having a job now and then so you won't think I'm sitting in a park somewhere making everything up. Nope, I'm in a small office with a door that's always open, and no window.)
--------------------
Meridian Bioscience sent a deadly strain of the flu to THOUSANDS of labs across the United Stated and around the world. It was incorrectly labeled. This strain of the flu killed between 1 and 4 MILLION people in less than 2 years (between 1957 and 1958), and chances are no one you know has an immunity to it. This is how the world is going to end. Not through terrorism or war, but through carelessness and stupidity. Nice going.
---------------------
And Britney Spears, a few weeks after saying the tabloids are lying and making up stories, just announced she's pregnant. The father, her husband, is the same man that left his last girlfriend around the time she was giving birth to their second child. He's quite a catch, huh? Unfaithful, makes about as much money as a substitute teacher, and probably barely finished high school. At least by the time she decides to start recording again, the public will have moved on to someone younger.
Comments:
<< Home
Heeeeey! What a coincidence! I, too, think the publishing world is pretty darn incestuous! AND I have a small office with an always-open door and no window!
We have so much in common that we ... wait a second -- it just dawned on me ... YOU'RE that creepy guy across the hall aren't you? AREN'T YOU?
We have so much in common that we ... wait a second -- it just dawned on me ... YOU'RE that creepy guy across the hall aren't you? AREN'T YOU?
Most retailers will typically order releases like Hotel Rwanda pretty sparingly. There might be as many as five or six at the most on release day.
At Suncoast a couple of years ago, our store received exactly one copy of Gods and Generals to put out on release day. After many a pissed off customer not finding the film, I'm rather surprised our store didn't resemble post-Sherman Atlanta come Wednesday morning.
Post a Comment
At Suncoast a couple of years ago, our store received exactly one copy of Gods and Generals to put out on release day. After many a pissed off customer not finding the film, I'm rather surprised our store didn't resemble post-Sherman Atlanta come Wednesday morning.
<< Home

