Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Dream a little dream
These days, I usually don't remember my dreams unless I'm stressed or sick. When I was in the Peace Corps, I had intensely vivid dreams for over two years, thanks to the anti-malarial drug mefloquin. (A drugged banned in Britain, by the way, but still given to folks working for the U.S. government. Oh boy!) Dreams like a three-foot tall lizard jumping like a frog, hopping toward me, and I'm tied to a chair and can't move. Fun things like that.
But for some reason, for the last few nights, I'm remembering my dreams again. Sunday night I dreamed I was in an apartment and someone said "Let's go to the party next door." We were walking down the hall and I asked "Is Chaka Khan going to be there?" Well, guess who answered the door? Chaka Khan. I said "Oh, I love your music!" Now, I know she did I Feel For You, and Tell Me Something Good is a kick-ass song, and I'm Every Woman was used in Oprah commercials, but that's the extent of my Chaka Khan knowledge. I don't own anything she's done. Inside at the party, my wife and her mother were arguing loudly and everyone was uncomfortable.
That's Sunday's dream. Last night's is hazier. The only thing I recall was the world being built around me. Literally. I could see construction out of the corner of my eye, but when I'd turn my head, it would be normal. Someone or something was building the world as fast as I could look. But it wasn't quite perfect, because I kept catching glimpses in my peripheral vision.
So, what does it all mean? My wife and her mother talk all the time, and I can count their arguments on one hand, so they're rare.
I'm thinking of calling in sick tomorrow. I cut the grass yesterday, and though I've never had allergies before, my sinuses are now bothering me.
But for some reason, for the last few nights, I'm remembering my dreams again. Sunday night I dreamed I was in an apartment and someone said "Let's go to the party next door." We were walking down the hall and I asked "Is Chaka Khan going to be there?" Well, guess who answered the door? Chaka Khan. I said "Oh, I love your music!" Now, I know she did I Feel For You, and Tell Me Something Good is a kick-ass song, and I'm Every Woman was used in Oprah commercials, but that's the extent of my Chaka Khan knowledge. I don't own anything she's done. Inside at the party, my wife and her mother were arguing loudly and everyone was uncomfortable.
That's Sunday's dream. Last night's is hazier. The only thing I recall was the world being built around me. Literally. I could see construction out of the corner of my eye, but when I'd turn my head, it would be normal. Someone or something was building the world as fast as I could look. But it wasn't quite perfect, because I kept catching glimpses in my peripheral vision.
So, what does it all mean? My wife and her mother talk all the time, and I can count their arguments on one hand, so they're rare.
I'm thinking of calling in sick tomorrow. I cut the grass yesterday, and though I've never had allergies before, my sinuses are now bothering me.
