Thursday, February 03, 2005
To Boldly Go...Not so fast, Mister!
My wife left this morning for Huntsville, Alabama to give a presentation for work. She's returning this evening. That's a long day at the office! I think I'll get Chinese food tonight and watch something stupid on TV.
Speaking of TV, UPN announced that Enterprise has been canceled. (Can't say I watched it once since they moved it to Fridays. I kept forgetting it was on.) This isn't unexpected, but it's not good news for the Trek franchise. It's not like they did this to get everyone's attention and make them angry, so they can whip out "Classic Trek." Yes, I'm using New Coke as an analogy. You don't take a beating like this, then immediately bankroll something different with the same name. Don't expect a "new, better, revitalized" Trek for a while. It's amazing how many people who consider themselves Trek fans are celebrating this like it's the best thing that could happen to Trek. Even if you hated the show, how could this be a good thing? The first Trek show in 40 years to not go the full 7 seasons. Good job. That really gives you faith in the genre. For the record, Enterprise was the first Trek show I watched, with the exception of a few episodes of the original series. I'm not weeping that the show is ending, but I'm not dancing either. Because it's not good news, and I dance badly anyway.
Speaking of TV, UPN announced that Enterprise has been canceled. (Can't say I watched it once since they moved it to Fridays. I kept forgetting it was on.) This isn't unexpected, but it's not good news for the Trek franchise. It's not like they did this to get everyone's attention and make them angry, so they can whip out "Classic Trek." Yes, I'm using New Coke as an analogy. You don't take a beating like this, then immediately bankroll something different with the same name. Don't expect a "new, better, revitalized" Trek for a while. It's amazing how many people who consider themselves Trek fans are celebrating this like it's the best thing that could happen to Trek. Even if you hated the show, how could this be a good thing? The first Trek show in 40 years to not go the full 7 seasons. Good job. That really gives you faith in the genre. For the record, Enterprise was the first Trek show I watched, with the exception of a few episodes of the original series. I'm not weeping that the show is ending, but I'm not dancing either. Because it's not good news, and I dance badly anyway.
