Friday, November 19, 2004

 

Krank calling

So my wife is vice president of a video production company, and she's a member of Women in Film (which sounds like an alliance of porn actresses, but they're referring to the women on the other side of the camera, so it's not like that.) They offer free movie tickets for sneak previews every now and then. A few weeks ago she saw the new Bridget Jones (with a girlfriend) and last night we went to see Christmas with the Kranks. It's not winning any Oscars, but it's got a few laughs in it. Awful title for a movie, but someone explained to me that they decided to change it from Skipping Christmas (which was also the title of the Grisham book) so people wouldn't confuse it with the Ben Affleck turd of a movie Surviving Christmas.

If I really wanted to nitpick about the accuracy of this movie, I would concentrate on one part of the movie: the daughter. She supposedly joins the Peace Corps and goes to Peru. She leaves on the day before Thanksgiving (wrong), flying straight to the country (wrong. you actually have to be processed for three days in the DC, so you can get immunizations, visas, etc.). She decides at the last minute to come home for Christmas, after only a month in Peru (wrong. you have to stay in your country six months before traveling outside the country borders). But none of this is important to the plot of the movie, and I didn't even bother explaining these things to my wife, because that would be like watching Star Trek with someone and having them explain why something couldn't have happened because in episode ___ Spock said "_____," so he shouldn't be doing _____ now. There, my time in the Peace Corps has now been compared to being a Star Trek geek. I've taken to insulting myself.




Comments:
Dude! You were in the Peace Corps? That is so freakin awesome! And not insulting.
 
We're not all bad. Some of us are able to refrain from nitpickery until we're at the keyboard and logged into a BBS :-)

Although, I did discover that I know WAY too much about this stuff when I was able to answer the questions on Vulcan philosophy asked on Friday's Enterprise episode.
 
Yes, I was in the Peace Corps from June 1997-November 1999. Got back just in time to see the millennium celebration on the mall in DC. I taught English at the University of Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso, West Africa. It’s a landlocked country north of Ivory Coast. (It’s easier to do a google search to find out info.) I can talk about it forever if you want to know more.

De: You’re scaring me your knowledge of Vulcan history! Glad they have qualified writers working on it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?