Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Ghosts and more ghosts
My wife went out to dinner with a friend, so I decided to watch a horror movie. I decided to pick up Ju-on. It's the Japanese film that was remade in America as The Grudge. It's definitely creepy and atmospheric. It's basically a haunted house story, only the house is completely normal looking. Which makes it a little more creepy. Sam Raimi (of Evil Dead and Spider-man fame) actually got the director of Ju-on to come to America and remake the movie with American actors. They even got a couple of the creepier actors from the Japanese movie to reprise their roles. I haven’t seen the American version, but now I’d like to compare the two.
Got the kitty valium on Monday, so the cats will be ready to travel after work. I’m going to take my time heading out of town, since the pills need an hour to really work. So I’ll slip them a pill in a soft treat and slowly get stuff ready to go.
Oh, and when my wife got in, she told me that our friend is engaged. So between passing the Bar exam on the first try and this, Rose is having a pretty good year.
And I got an email from an ex-girlfriend yesterday. Someone I actually dated for five years. The one who at the time I was sure was the one. Most of college and two years beyond. We ended up breaking up and she married someone else when I was in Africa. She’s in Texas now. It’s totally bizarre that she wrote, as it’s been at least three years since we’ve communicated at all. Maybe four? I’m not sure I like the past jumping out at me like that. I’ve mentioned before that I tend to always look forward, to complete one portion of my life (high school, college) then move on, keeping in touch with only one or two people from each period. I never want to be one of those people who can’t be happy today because I’m always sighing that “_________ was really the happiest time of my life…” Yuck. Maybe I’m not being fair to myself by closing off those times and storing them away. I just worry about wallowing in it. Anyway, her email brought back a lot of memories, only some of them less than happy. I wish her well, yet continue to hope I never see her again. Be happy, but just be far away from me. We will never be buddies. I have no desire to revisit ghosts. That may sound harsh, but it took a long time to get over her. To trust women again. To open myself up to something real. To allow myself to be vulnerable to someone. I had built up a big shell around my heart, and it took someone really special to tear it down. Now I only have room in there for Laura.
I'm out the rest of the week. I'll update if something interesting happens. You never know, it could. Be optimistic.
Got the kitty valium on Monday, so the cats will be ready to travel after work. I’m going to take my time heading out of town, since the pills need an hour to really work. So I’ll slip them a pill in a soft treat and slowly get stuff ready to go.
Oh, and when my wife got in, she told me that our friend is engaged. So between passing the Bar exam on the first try and this, Rose is having a pretty good year.
And I got an email from an ex-girlfriend yesterday. Someone I actually dated for five years. The one who at the time I was sure was the one. Most of college and two years beyond. We ended up breaking up and she married someone else when I was in Africa. She’s in Texas now. It’s totally bizarre that she wrote, as it’s been at least three years since we’ve communicated at all. Maybe four? I’m not sure I like the past jumping out at me like that. I’ve mentioned before that I tend to always look forward, to complete one portion of my life (high school, college) then move on, keeping in touch with only one or two people from each period. I never want to be one of those people who can’t be happy today because I’m always sighing that “_________ was really the happiest time of my life…” Yuck. Maybe I’m not being fair to myself by closing off those times and storing them away. I just worry about wallowing in it. Anyway, her email brought back a lot of memories, only some of them less than happy. I wish her well, yet continue to hope I never see her again. Be happy, but just be far away from me. We will never be buddies. I have no desire to revisit ghosts. That may sound harsh, but it took a long time to get over her. To trust women again. To open myself up to something real. To allow myself to be vulnerable to someone. I had built up a big shell around my heart, and it took someone really special to tear it down. Now I only have room in there for Laura.
I'm out the rest of the week. I'll update if something interesting happens. You never know, it could. Be optimistic.
